Wednesday 26 November 2014

The Other Point of View...

I am not a very good communicator. Often, I make stupid mistakes while interacting with others. It is essential to understand the implications of what we’re saying and how it affects people. For instance, once I had an argument with a colleague in office. I needed something from him. He didn’t refuse outright, but was always delaying the work. Consequently, I lost my temper.


I said, “This work can be completed in minutes! Wonder how you didn’t find the time to complete it! You’ve got to have the positive attitude, friend. This professionalism is expected from you. Don’t give me stupid excuses!”

He replied in frustration, “I’ve got a lot of other important things to do. Don’t think I’m going to do everything you say. I am also a busy man, not a spare part that you could set to work whenever you want!”


I was pretty convinced that my viewpoint was legit. So I kept arguing with him. But sadly, this didn’t work. Nothing worked until I actually thought about his point of view.

And then I understood the simplicity of the situation within seconds. He was feeling bad because he had to work on something that wasn’t his responsibility. So when he agreed to do it, he simply wanted a little gratitude in return. But what did I give him? More accusations!

Then I thought when arguing didn’t help, maybe understanding him might! Worst case, he still wouldn’t have worked on it. What could I have done in that situation? Maybe a simple request with honest gratitude, like this –

“Hey buddy, I know you must be busy. But I would be grateful if you can spare some time for this. I wouldn’t have told you had this not been urgent, so don’t mind much. Thanks!”

So I said it. And guess what, it worked! He simply smiled and said a few words about how he honestly wanted to do it but was just a little busy and will soon get back on it! J


Sometimes we only have to stop and think about the other point of view. Our perception is a hindrance and often we’re not able to appreciate another perspective. But slowly we can develop this attitude, and I’m sure it would work wonders.

When we fully appreciate another’s point of view – we develop ourselves as a person, we understand other people and therefore we build relationships.

All this at the cost of our ego, of course!

So is this a good deal or bad?

You guessed right, not everyone can afford it.

Can you?

1 comment: